Monday, July 14, 2008

14th of July - National holiday in France

Quote:
July 14th is Bastille Day in France. It symbolizes the end of the Monarchy and the beginning of what is now called the First French Republic. The Bastille, a prison at the time, was stormed on July 14,1789. This event came to represent the end of the king's power and the transfer of power to the people.

Today, Bastille Day is a national holiday and a day of celebration, which takes the form of military parades and fireworks. The most famous military parade takes place on the Champs-Elysées in Paris and has all the pomp and pageantry you would expect. The Republican Guard - The French President's personal guards, leads the parade. Bastille Day and the days leading up to it are one of the few times when you will see the French flag everywhere. In general, the French are very low-key about their flag, only showing it off on special days like Bastille Day. Unquote.



I found out that the word 'Bastille' which is a huge Fort means 'Stronghold' and I was reading just about this in my quiet time this morning, which I will share after showing you a picture of the magnificent Fort we have very close to us in CARCASSONNE. This is 1000 years old!! We always go there when we have visitors, it's just too cool to miss. It's about a 40 minute drive from where we live and is a favourite spot for the American tourists. Actually there is a five star hotel inside the Fort which is run by Americans.

Now, here's something to meditate on!
Quote:
'Pulling down.. strongholds; casting down imaginations.. bringing into captivity every thought'. 2 Cor. 10:4-5

What are you to pull down? Strong holds: areas of your life that are held in the grip of the enemy. What are you to cast down? Imaginations: always fearing the worst instead of believing God for the best. What are you to take captive? Thoughts: thinking that doesn't line up with God's Word or submit to the rule of Christ in your life.
Unquote
(From 'The Word for today' from Bob Gass.

And now for a couple of simple cards I made with scrap papers after I got a little inspiration from the Internet. I made my own template petal and just cut around it. I sewed the first card and pricked holes around the petals on the second one. I used a couple of sentiments from Hero Arts.






Have a great day!

9 comments:

  1. Wow...thanks for the picture of the fort....helps to see how big and imposing it is!

    Love the simplicity of the cards...the sewing adds so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Bringing every thought captive to Christ".....what a great reminder, Jacqueline. Thanks.
    Love the stitching on the petals, it really does make a difference. I like that look A LOT. But not enough to start sewing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful photo from Carcasonne. I visited la cité some years ago and I loved it. Very atmospheric indeed.
    Love your petals, the sewing is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Bastille Day!! Love those pretty cards, the petals made from different papers look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love these flowers Jacqueline !!! Very very pretty !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the beautiful photos, the shared history, the ministry you share as well as your wonderful art! You are such an inspiration, Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always admire your cards that use a simple design. Somehow I don't seem to be able to do it myself. The stitched flowers are gorgeous.

    Thanks for sharing your quiet time with us - very powerful.
    Ros

    ReplyDelete
  8. that fort looks like a treasure! I would love to photograph it. 14 July was my Joe's birthday, so I wished him happy Bastille Day! Love the stitched flowers. You are a talent with the scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was 14 I've been walking ons this walls ! Thas more than 30 years ago. I was on holiday with a group of Belgian younsters, but i still remember it as it was yesterday ! Very imposant and beautiful !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your visit - I so appreciate it!