Monday, July 21, 2008

S U M M E R


(My Spanish geraniums)

I had to share this daily devotional I read this morning, I felt it really provided a piece of wisdom to think about and apply!!

Quote:

"Lord, You know better than I know myself, that I'm growing older, and will someday be old. Keep me from getting too talkative; particularly from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Deliver me from the need to try and straighten out everybody's affairs. Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; give me wings to get to the point. I ask for grace to listen to the tales of others' pains; but seal my lips when it comes to my own aches and pains, for they are increasing and my love of rehearsing them gets sweeter as the years go by. I ask not for improved memory, but for a growing humility and less cocksureness, especially when my memory seems to clash with the memory of others. Teach me that occasionally I may be mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet. I don't necessarily want to be a saint - some of them are so hard to live with. But a sour old woman (or man) is one of the crowning works of the devil. Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom it seems a pity not to use it; but You know Lord, I want a few friends at the end. So give me, I pray, the ability to see blessings in unexpected trials and goodness in less-than-perfect people. And give me the grace to tell them so, in Christ's name, amen."
Unquote



JULY is the time of the month that the lavender bushes are ready to be harvested! They need to be pruned which is quite alot of work. I pick what I need first to go in little bags for the linen cupboards and clothes draws (not in the boy's rooms I have to add). This year I'm determined to sew lots of little bags and send or give them to friends. I've done that so much in the past. I've put this basket full in the sun to dry first.



A stalk or two in bottles of olive oil or vinegar is an infusion of summer that lasts the whole year.



The fragrance lives to an aromatic old age, and a small sachet of lavender left in a drawer or linen closet in July will retain its scent, faded but still distinctive, until December or beyond.
Finally, save a few bunches of dried lavender to put on to the first fires of winter and the house will smell like the purple patch you cut those many months before.



Leaving you with a card made from my scrap basket.

* Quotes about lavender from Peter Mayle who wrote 'Encore Provence'.

11 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful way to start the day!!!
    I love the idea of meditation Mondays... great devotional, a great way to approach the coming week...

    And the cards! Perfectly capture your summer!
    Oh, the lavender!!!! I can smell it all the way over here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words.
    And of course beautiful crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prachtige kleuren! Mooie kaart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your meditation. I have copied and saved it for myself. The lavender looks so pretty in the basket and the sachets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing everything here, Jacqueline.
    The lavendar looks heavenly.
    I love the geraniums with the little bird perched on the edge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost smell this from here! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, Jacqueline! I savoured each word of your post, from the devotion (which rang quite meaningful to me!) as well as all of your information on the lavender. One of these days....yes someday I hope to grow lavender like you do!

    Thank you for sharing such a heartwarming post on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh so true....

    Beautiful lavender....there is a plant I do not have! Do you use it for anything else?! It's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacqueline! Somehow you have a beautiful way of sharing a devotion or quote that I NEED to see! Thank you! I agree with everyone else, I can almost smell the lavender.
    Love your amazing art, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing about the lavendar. I have so much of it growing in my own yard and wasn't aware I could pull it and dry it to carry the lovely smell into the house. I loved the inspirational words. They are so true and I need to remember many of them. :) And last but not least... Lovely cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, Jacqueline! The lavender in the olive oil looks amazing..I can smell it's sweet scent all the way in California!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your visit - I so appreciate it!